Sophia Antipolis, France – L’Escapadou today is pleased to announce Spanish Word Wizard 1.0 for iOS, a Spanish version of their Word Wizard app that lets kids hear the sounds of letters and words, and provides spelling practice with a customizable Word list of more than 1,400 questions and answers. Featuring advanced text to speech capabilities, the app can pronounce an unlimited number of original words and spell-check an unlimited number of Spanish words.
“We’re happy to bring Word Wizard to Latino and Spanish families who use the iPad or the iPhone for education. We believe that it will help kids learn to read, write and spell Spanish as the English version does.” said Pierre Abel, founder of L’Escapadou.
The English and French versions have already won many accolades including:
* “…Powerful language-learning tool that is ideal for a child learning to read” – New York Times
* Editor’s Choice Award for Excellence in Design from Children’s Technology Review
* “…A fantastic app for young children” – GeekDad Blog, Wired Magazine
*”…I love the talking alphabet…I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Early Childhood Education, University of Maine
* Featured by Apple as ‘New and Noteworthy’ for iPad and iPhone in US
* Featured by Apple as App of the Week for iPhone in France (French Version)
In the talking Movable Alphabet, kids see all the letters at the bottom of the landscape oriented screen and hear the name or the sound of each letter aloud when they touch it. This multi-sensory approach, made famous through the writings of physician and educator Maria Montessori, engages the child completely. Each sense reinforces the other, and a wide range of cognitive styles is accommodated. Using the technology of the iPad/iPhone, Word Wizard enhances and amplifies the experience of seeing, touching, and hearing letters that young children have had in Montessori classrooms for more than 100 years. The app can be seen as taking the best of the Montessori method and making it still better.
The talking Movable Alphabet lets kids drag one letter at a time on to a grid (that automatically aligns the letters) or a blank page. As each letter is added to a word-in-progress, Word Wizard speaks the name of the letter aloud (or optionally, its phonetic sound) and then pronounces the proto-word, demonstrating how each additional letter alters the pronunciation of the whole. The child may never create a word in the Spanish language, but he or she is completely free to get to know the building blocks of words on their own terms. When the last letter of a correctly spelled word is put in place, the entire word is surrounded by white light, all the letters grow to remove the spaces between them, and the word is clearly pronounced.
Talking Movable Alphabet Highlights:
* 3 voices: 1 Latino voice (Female) and 2 Castilian voices (Female and Male)
* Spell checker highlights unrecognized words
* Spanish Phonics or letter name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
* Read each word or all the words created as a sentence.
* Grid or free placement mode
* Voice Transformer (speed,tone) for added fun
* Cursive and block letters
* Uppercase or lowercase letters for block letters
* 2 backgrounds
Familiar and at ease with letters, phonemes, syllables, words, and pronunciation, children can leave Movable Alphabet mode and visit Spelling Quizzes, where they can put into practice all they have learned and play a semi-formal game with rules and scoring. Each spelling quiz consists of 10 words. Spanish Word Wizard prompts “Escribe ‘madre’” and the child drags each letter as they did before to spell the word. If necessary, they can touch the Hint button to receive hints one letter at a time. When all 10 words have been spelled, the app displays the number of correct answers and the number of hints used.
Spelling Quiz Highlights:
* more than 1,400 words is organized into categories such as Family Members,Numbers , Colors, Animals, Body, 1,000 Most Frequently Used Words,…
* Create custom Word Lists by entering custom words and sentences, and even share lists
* Hints are available if kids do not know how to spell a word
* A variety of colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
* Once a quiz is completed, a report is displayed and fun, interactive animations are available as a reward
* Scores are kept for each list
Children, parents, and teachers can quickly and easily create custom Word Lists. Type in a list of words separated by commas, or even sentences. Though the word may not be in the app’s Word List it will properly pronounce it and go on to score the quiz. This expansion capability makes Word Wizard a flexible tool for learning special vocabularies and terms, practicing words challenging to particular students, and challenging super-spellers with spelling bee favorites.
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* Requires iOS 4.0 or later
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 228 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Spanish Word Wizard 1.0 is only $3.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Review copies are available upon request.
Based in Sophia Antipolis, France, L’Escapadou is an award-winning, family, design studio dedicated to creating fun, creative, and educational apps for iPad and iPhone, and it was recognized as an Editor’s Choice by Moms With Apps. Montessori Crosswords, L’Escapadou’s top selling app, has won the Children’s Technology Review Editor’s Choice Award for Excellence in Design. Pierre Abel holds a PhD in computer science and has worked extensively on user experience design. His wife, a translator currently busy home-educating their daughters, helps in the design of their educational apps. Watching their kids – 5 and 8 years old – learn and play is their main source of inspiration for the apps they make. The studio was founded in 2010 after the launch of the iPad, with the belief that the iPad can be a great tool for learning and creativity. Copyright (C) 2010-2011 L’Escapadou. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
You must be logged in to post a comment.